CALL FOR NOMINATIONS – NCURA REGION VI AWARDS FOR THE 2017 REGION VI/VII MEETING
Nominations for the Helen Carrier Distinguished Service Award, the Meritorious Contribution Award, and the Barry Dorfman Outstanding Region VI Member Award are now being accepted. Awardees will be honored at the NCURA Region VI/VII/VIII Meeting, to be held November 5-8, 2017 in Portland, Oregon. Award information and nomination instructions are provided below.
The deadline for receipt of nominations is FRIDAY, September 16, 2017
Helen Carrier Distinguished Service Award
This award was named in memory of Helen Carrier, in recognition of her contributions to research administration in general, and specifically to NCURA. The following criteria will be used in considering individuals for this award. To be considered for this award, nominees must:
- Be a member of Region VI at the time of nomination;
- Have at least ten years of experience in the research administration field; and
- Present evidence of significant continuing and long-term contributions to NCURA specifically, and research administration more broadly. This can be documented through activities such as service as an NCURA officer and/or a Committee Chair in the region and/or at the national level, making research administration-focused presentations within the field, presenting workshops either in conjunction with NCURA or within other professional forums (such as FDP, COGR, invited meetings, etc.), conducting peer reviews, serving as faculty at professional development training, and/or publishing articles on research administration.
Applications must be completed and submitted online via the NCURA Region VI Hellen Carrier Distinguished Service Award nomination form found at: http://orso.or.wsu.edu/r6ncura/DSA.aspx
Meritorious Contribution Award
The nominee(s) for this award shall have made a meritorious contribution to the NCURA Region VI. Individuals and groups are eligible. The following criteria will be used in considering individuals and/or groups for this award. To be considered for this award, nominees must:
- Be a current or past member of Region VI. In the case of group efforts, at least one of the nominees must be a Region VI member at the time of the activity(ies) that are being recognized;
- Have made a contribution or contributions to Region VI activities that are especially commendable or praiseworthy. This can be evidenced through special service to NCURA Region VI, through activities such as development and implementation of an innovative program to enhance the conduct of regional activities, programs or business; the creation of research administration tools, or sustained support for regional or national activities, or service to the region.
Self-nominations are encouraged. In all instances, the nomination must include separate letters of endorsement from two current NCURA Region VI members.
Applications must be completed and submitted online via the NCURA Region VI Meritorious Contribution Award nomination form found at: http://orso.or.wsu.edu/r6ncura/MC.aspx
Barry Dorfman Outstanding Region VI Member Award
This award was established in memory of Barry Dorfman. Having made a mid-life career change, Barry was fairly new to the field of research administration and to NCURA, but brought a wealth of prior experience to the organization. This award is intended to honor individuals who, like Barry, quickly became active and valued members of Region VI. The following criteria will be used in considering individuals for this award. To be considered for this award, nominees must:
- Be a current member of NCURA Region VI,
- Have initially joined NCURA no more than 5 years ago,
- Have demonstrated a quick willingness to offer their abilities, time, energies, creativity, commitment and enthusiasm to NCURA as demonstrated through involvement with NCURA, and
- Have served the Region in at least two different ways, including but not limited to participation on a regional and/or national NCURA Committee (including the Regional Advisory Committee), serving as an officer at the regional or national level, participating in an NCURA meeting or workshop
Applications must be completed and submitted online via the NCURA Region VI Barry Dorfman Outstanding Region VI Member Award nomination form found at: http://orso.or.wsu.edu/r6ncura/BDO.aspx
Questions? Contact Stella Sung (Chair, Region VI Awards Committee) at email@example.com.
Region VI Awards Program and Committee
The Awards Committee is responsible for the regional award program including the
recognition awards listed below, and travel awards given by Region VI to support
attendance at various NCURA meetings and conferences.
The purpose of the Award/Recognition Program is to enhance professional development,
and to recognize those individuals and groups who have made special and noteworthy
contributions to research administration and to NCURA Region VI.
Award Committee Membership
Committee members are appointed by the Region VI Chair. The term of appointment
is usually two years. Terms can be renewed. The committee will be composed of at
least four active members of Region VI including:
- A current member of the Region VI Regional Advisory Committee,
- A past member of the Regional Advisory Committee, or a past regional officer, or
a past member of the Awards Committee,
- A research administrator with less than three years experience (at the time of appointment),
- Up to two members-at-large.
Committee members are expected to maintain the confidentiality of the proceedings.
No aspect of the proceedings will be shared outside of the committee and the identity
of the winners will not be openly released by committee members until time of award
or discussion at the regional level. The committee may request the assistance of
the Region VI Chair, if necessary. Inquiries about any aspect of the proceedings
will be referred to the Chair of the committee.